Thursday, July 22, 2010

A milestone is reached!

I've been a bad blogger.
A rather unfaithful one, of late.
However, it is time to celebrate a milestone.
A milestone in my limited mind, at least.

I have reached 20 disciples followers!
In honor of this occasion, it might be interesting to find out how you found this particular piece of internet enlightenment. Some of you are longstanding friends. Others I have known for a shorter time, and others I know very little about. So I, at least, am interested in discovering how we made this cyber connection.
To spur your thoughts a bit, I have a couple trivia questions:
--which of my posts has generated the most hits?
--which of my posts has generated the most spam?

If you show any interest at all in those questions, I will be happy to tell you the answers.
Otherwise, you will forever be in the dark.

And now back to the idea of being a disciple, which brings up what I think is an important point.
A disciple is a follower.
And that implies movement.
For Jesus' disciples, it wasn't a static placement of ones' feet. It was putting one foot in front of the other, and going where the Master went.
And this wasn't just in a physical sense. It also meant spiritually and emotionally.

So why are we so anxious to make disciples for Jesus, but then pretty much demand that they reach a particular 'plateau' and then stay there?
Can't we realize that our Master is moving,
and so should we.

Stagnation isn't a pretty sight (or smell).

Discipleship isn't lining up with a predetermined list of qualifications.
And then relaxing.
Or proudly saying; “I've made it, I've arrived.”

But that is the example that is usually laid out for us.
We aren't encouraged to move on, to ask new questions, to challenge the status quo.
But what if that is exactly where the Master is going?

Why are we scared to think the Master may be moving on, just as He asks us to.

5 comments:

shallowfrozenwater said...

but your Followers label only says 19? what's up with that?

i don't remember how i found your blog Al, perhaps you found mine first? not sure but i'm glad i did find it. you push my buttons sometimes but we've always seemed to remain friends through it all. i truly enjoyed the couple of occasions we could get together too and i've always appreciated the blessing you left with me as you prayed for me.

Al said...

I know about the 19--but when I sign in to blogger, it says 20--I think it figures I am one of my own disciples.
I think I did find you first, from someone else... and so it goes.
So I push your buttons, do I? Hmmmm!

Peter said...

Al, maybe you'll understand once YOU "arrive" too... heh. Kidding.

I don't remember how we first met, but I think you visited my blog, and I in turn visited yours. When people take the time to show interest in me, I like to return the favor. It's been a pleasure getting to know you, friend.

As for the trivia questions, I have NO idea. I get very little blog spam, but I can say without a doubt that MY most successful post ever was about the death of Michael Jackson. Quadrupled my traffic for a week!

Al said...

I've only been spammed on one post (I think), but that one has probably generated a dozen or more. Not all at once, but sporadically--kinda like my blogging record of late.

Yeah, Pete, somehow I found your blog, and had to comment my two cents worth, and then you were kind enough to visit my blog, and toss in some value yourself.

Chris Ledgerwood said...

I think I ran across you via another blog, but I can't remember what I had for breakfast. So, I'm not totally for sure. Either way, I m happy it happened. I also enjoyed the post as well. I want to be a disciple of Jesus not the church!

 

count web site traffic
Staples Coupon